Thursday 27 August 2015

Visiting the Balenciaga Museum

Isn´t it great the feeling when you go and visit one of the most amazing museums of your country, without having to spend half of your day in the car? I got to feel that happiness last week, when I got the chance to go to the Balenciaga Museum with my mum.

I do love going to museums, but even more when I get to see fashion in them. That´s why I went to Getaria (Basque Country) to visit the Balenciaga Museum, as Cristóbal Balenciaga was an admirable designer in my opinion, and it is a sad reality to know that he is no longer walking the surface of this world while designing some of the coolest and simplest clothing items ever existed.

The museum itself is quite attractive from the outside, as even though it isn´t next to the shore (let´s have in mind that Getaria has actually got a shore and is next to the sea), it has some charming surroundings that makes the place where it is located really welcoming.

When it comes to the inside of the building, there are different floors with divided rooms- when I say divided rooms, I mean totally divided rooms, with some long hallways and staircases that are between them. So when you start seeing Balenciaga´s works, don´t expect to get from one place to another as quick as you do in other museums- get ready to walk for quite a bit (or you can also use the lift) to get to where you want to go next! This is something I really liked, as it makes the museum look more minimalist and roomy. Inside the big room areas you can find either some of his belongings and biography stuff, or some of his most famous works - these ones sometimes cannot be seen well, as in those rooms the light is very por (as his works are situated in a completely different place), so to be able to fully see the clothing items you have the opportunity to see what they actually look like in a little screen that is located next to the works, which describes the way each clothing item has been done.

Oh! I shouldn´t forget about the little shop that is right in the middle of the museum, which actually looks like a second reception place with lots of fashion books (I bought one, "Beaton in Vogue", I will tell you what I think about it!), perfumes and more! Also there is a cafe in the back of the museum, which was sadly closed when I went there for a drink with my mum haha.

All in all, the whole museum is great, and it has been an incredible experience for me to be able to go there and see the way Balenciaga worked, and fashion overall, since the early 30´s until today. I reckon this museum is worth a shot, even if you aren´t really into fashion- well, in that case, you might think half of it quite boring, but there is some cool stuff that I thought was pretty interesting.









No comments:

Post a Comment